Last week was a long week. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m completely deaf. I hear nothing. At all. What that means is that when I have a meeting at work, I tend to utilize sign language interpreters to be able to fully follow, as best I can, the meetings I’m attending. Last week, I was in all day meetings for three consecutive days. I found out that I’m not as young as I used to be, that’s for sure. At the end of those three days, I was completely exhausted, mentally, and my eyes were trying to see each other. Heck, they were trying to see if my brain was still in my skull behind them. OK, maybe not literally that bad, but still tiring enough that I didn’t want to touch the computer after work all week. That led to an end result of no writing last week, either on my WIP or blog.
This weekend just past, though, I managed to get some writing in and develop some initial notes for a musical composition I want to do. Not notes as in musical notes on a staff, but rather writing up what I want to put in this composition, where my theme is from, and how I want to go about it. There are times when I wonder what I must have done wrong in my previous life to be punished by being deaf and loving music as much as I do.
Over the last two days I’ve managed to tentatively complete the current Pa’adhe short story. Now I need to do my own re-read and editing after which I should be able to send it out to my Alpha readers. That’ll let me know if it’s actually finished and I am ready to start the heavy editing that always happens before I release to my blog. This will be the eighth posted story when it goes live.
Unfortunately, though, that musical composition I mentioned a couple paragraphs ago has been pulling at me to focus on it. I’m excited about the premise and want to get the program going. It’s a juggling act right now to balance my time between this new musical composition program, my writing, prepping for the photography class I start teaching next Wednesday, and finishing the Arduino projects that I have to deal with. Fortunately, the current Arduino projects are almost all done.
I managed to finalize my granddaughter’s Light Harp. A few tweaks with components and checking things on the o‘scope and I was able to adjust the schematic to allow the two photoresistors to properly adjust pitch and volume. I also got some ideas for improving it. Heh! Heh! Now to box it up and deliver her Arduino-based Theremin wannabe. Both she and my wife played with it while it was still in the protoboarding stage and had fun with it, so it clearly works. My daughter confirmed that it sounds a lot like bagpipes.
I have all the necessary parts now, so as soon as I finish the patch cord, I’ll be completing my nephew’s Arduino based light show for his band. Pretty much all that remains is the sketch. That’s going to be fun as I’ll be able to play with it a little bit before handing it off to him. I’m looking forward to watching the audio drive the light string and tweaking the sketch to control the individual lights. I’m really curious about this, because as I’ve mentioned before I’m completely deaf, yet love music. I’m always seeking a way to see, visually, the music hearing people get to enjoy so it’ll be interesting to see just how this reacts to audio input. With RGB LED lights, the full range of colors is available to utilize. There are, of course, various limitations such as what colors I can actually discern a difference between, how it’s processed down the string of Christmas lights, which color is highest, which color is lowest, and so on. Personally, I see white as the highest possible musical note and black as the lowest.